- Auditor-General of Pakistan.-(1) There shall be an Auditor-General of Pakistan, who shall be appointed by the President.
(2) Before entering upon office, the Auditor-General shall make before the Chief Justice of Pakistan oath in the form set out in the Third Schedule.
1[(3) The Auditor-General shall, unless he sooner resigns or is removed from office in accordance with clause (5), hold office for a term of four years from the date on which he assumes such office or attains the age of sixty-five years, whichever is earlier.]
2[(3A) The other terms and conditions of service of the Auditor-General shall be determined by Act of Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament); and, until so determined, by Order of the President.]
(4) A person who has held office as Auditor-General shall not be eligible for further appointment in the service of Pakistan before the expiration of two years after he has ceased to hold that office.
(5) The Auditor-General shall not be removed from office except in the like manner and on the like grounds as a Judge of the Supreme Court.
(6) At any time, when the office of the Auditor-General is vacant or the Auditor-General is absent or is unable to perform the functions of his office due to any cause, 3[the President may appoint the most senior officer in the Office of the Auditor-General to] act as Auditor-General and perform the functions of that office.
- Section 62(i) of the Constitution (Eighteenth Amendment) Act, 2010 (10 of 2010), substituted clause (3) of Art. 168, in its present form, (w.e.f. April 19, 2010). The substituted clause (3) of Art. 168, as adopted in 1973, that read :
(3) The terms and conditions of service, including the term of office, of the Auditor-General shall be determined by Act of a*[Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament)] and, until so determined, by Order of the President.
a*. See Footnote 2 on page 4.
- Section 62(ii) of the Constitution (Eighteenth Amendment) Act, 2010 (10 of 2010), inserted the said new clause (3A), in its present form, after clause (3) of Art. 167, (w.e.f. April 19, 2010).
- Section 62(iii) of the Constitution (Eighteenth Amendment) Act, 2010 (10 of 2010), substituted the said words, in place of the words “such other person as the President may direct shall”, in clause (6) of Art. 168, (w.e.f. April 19, 2010).
Comparative Table of Article 168 of the Constitution of Pakistan, 1973 :
Constitution of Pakistan 1962 :
Constitution of Pakistan 1956 :
Constitution of India 1950:
Government of India Act 1935:
Leading & Latest Cases on Article 168 of the Constitution of Pakistan, 1973 :
P L D 1963 SC 401
COMMISSIONER LAHORE DIVISION AND OTHERS
P L D 2088 SC 77 SHAHID ORAKZAI & ANOTHER FEDERATION OF PAKISTAN